BOOK REVIEW: Will Not See by Chautona Havig

When Vikki Jeffries wakes up in a Rockland hotel with no idea of who she is and why she can’t remember… well, anything, the Rockland medical community begins to take a closer look at what may have happened to cause a second case of inexplicable amnesia.

But for Vikki, this is more than a medical anomaly–it’s her life. What is she doing in Rockland, thousands of miles away from her home in Apache Junction, Arizona? Who is she? Why is no one looking for her? Or are they?

The secrets of a past she's discovering she doesn't want to know lay locked away in a memory that refuses to acknowledge their existence.

When Brandon Marana finds his neighbor struggling to open her front door, his quiet life becomes a race to protect Vikki and himself from people who are determined to find her.

He's falling in love with her--but he shouldn't. He's a Christian. She's not. But the more she depends on him to know who she is and learn why these things keep happening to her, the stronger those ties become.

Will Not See: Sometimes, the past needs to stay there.


I was super excited when this book came up for review with Celebrate Lit.  Remember, the first book None So Blind is what shot this author to the top of my favorites list.  It left me wanting so much more and I was NEEDING this followup to provide all that and some.  Again, I was not left disappointed.  And while some questions were answered it spun so many more.  We get to pick back up with Ella as she steps to to try to help the next victim of whatever this thing is.  I didn't quite bond with Victoria (Tori now Vickki) as I did with Ella.  Her story in and of itself drew me in and made me ache for who she had been but also who she could become.  But she wasn't Ella.  She didn't have her backbone, her strength, and her indomitable spirit.  I mean, I guess she did but it was softer.  She'd survived so much and still came out ahead.  

I'm not as taken of guard with the loss of memory as I was with Ella.  Vikki's situation brought answers to previous questions and even more questions.  What frustrated me was the seeming lack of ability for law enforcement to actually get their hands on information.  Birth certificates?  Criminal background?  Those things are seemingly easy to get your hands on with a simple internet search.  I know it's really not that simple but...  I'm still waiting for resolution on the money!  And now the drugs.  And the hospital.  And Rockland.  How did Vikki end up there anyway?  And... So many questions.  I know that there's another book coming but I can't wait!

I love how Havig took something so intense and difficult and personal and makes it open without saying a word.  Vikki's background, what she could piece together, was not the thing of fairy-tales.  It wasn't even just a 'bad' childhood.  The author handled that with grace and compassion without being overt and heavy handed.  The more I read about Vikki the more I bonded with her.  The more I cared.  I was invested in her faith, or lack thereof.  I was even invested in her love triangle.  I honestly can't say who would even wish for her to be with at the end.  What I do know beyond a shadow of a doubt is I need the next book sooner rather than later.  I need to know how this all plays out.  There are so many mysteries and balls in the air and I'm not even in the ballpark to be able to figure out where they will drop.  Oh gravy, did I just use a sports-y reference?!?  Now that's worth writing about!

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by CelebrateLit.  I was not compensated for this review and all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.  I was not required to write a positive review. 

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble 
Will Not See (Sight Unseen #2)

About Chautona Havig 
 I am fortunate enough to live in the great state of California (in the Mojave Desert) with my husband Kevin and five of my nine children. My eldest is married with five children, so I have the fun of a son-in-law and grandbabies to enjoy. I’ve graduated six out of my nine children from our home school, and they’re all doing quite well in their lives. My younger children keep me from getting too selfish, and someday I’ll be fully retired as their teacher. I have to say, I’m lookin’ forward to it. Teaching about gerunds was fun the first time… not so much anymore. I salute all of those in the education field. You are my heroes.

When I’m not writing (which I admit isn’t often) I enjoy blogging (a totally different kind of writing, trust me), paper crafts, sewing, smocking, photo editing, and old music. No, really, I like OLD stuff… the Beatles are too newfangled for me. Yeah,I know they’re before my time… but I like stuff before my PARENTS time.


.Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Goodreads

1 comment

  1. I had a similar experience with Vikki. I totally "got" Ella, but Vikki is so different. But in talking with people more like her to get her "right" I learned how to appreciate and understand people who think and act differently from how I would. It was a total ride.

    And yes, I didn't give all the answers to the situation but I did to her specific case. Can't wait to write the wrap up. Simon is going to blow this out of the water! SQUEE!

    ReplyDelete