BOOK REVIEW: The Promise of a Letter by Kathleen Fuller

Roman is on the verge of leaving the Amish ways. Feeling confined by the strict rules, he longs to do something more with his life. But when things don’t go as planned, Roman’s prospects outside of the community dwindle. Upon learning that his beloved grandmother has died and left a letter urging him to reconcile with his brother in Birch Creek, Roman decides to return home. But he doesn’t plan to stay for long.

Leanna Chupp has always made her own way in her small community of Birch Creek. Though some may call her unconventional—strange, even—Leanna is happy. Her unique outlook on life has meant she’s never had many suitors pursuing courtship, which Leanna doesn’t mind. She is content being single.

But when Roman and Leanna find themselves working together again, everything changes. Though neither fit squarely within the strictures of the Amish faith, their differences could be the very thing to help them form a deeper connection to their community and to each other. The question remains: will this strengthening bond be enough to make Roman stay for good?


Back to Birch Creek with Jalon and Phoebe and their new fledgling family and a host of community and friends.  Jalon's sister Leanna is still working for their friend and neighbor Daniel in his small engine repair shop.  Not a normal occupation for a female but as a confirmed bachelor (her words not mine) it's what she is passionate about and what she loves.  In the first book, 'Written in Love', where it all started, we met Daniel's brother Roman, briefly.  We knew enough that he was a thorn in Leanna's side as well as his brother's.  After the passing of their Grossmammi he's back to attempt to make amends and reconcile with his brother.  For better or worse, for the love of this woman he is bound to make this work.  But regaining trust is hard, and Roman's ability to stick with it is lacking.

I'll be honest, the brewing romance (come on it's not like you didn't know it was coming) between Roman and Leanna was a bit awkward.  I frequently feel this way in more romantic type books.  Why is so hard to translate the beginning of falling for someone into words?  But then again, we are talking about two awkward adults.  Two people who had sworn off traditional roles of family and marriage and kidlets.  For two sorta, almost different reasons but still.  It's not only finding their way after the disaster that was their first meeting but also dealing with new feelings for themselves and deciding if it's worth the potential hurt to put their trust into another.  It's complicated.  And hard.  And well, it's real life.  

I really really liked this book.  I love these characters, I love seeing these two specifically come into their own and find a way.  I feel like their romance was too fast and the wedding too quick but then I usually do.  I loved the side story of Adam and Karen too.  I can't wait to see where the next book is going to take us, though I've got a gut feeling it's with Ivy.  You know, Leanna's bestie.  Six months, I can wait six months right?

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by Kathleen Fuller and Thomas Nelson Publishing.  I was not compensated for this review and all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.  I was not required to write a positive review.

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble
The Promise of a Letter (Amish Letter #2)

About Kathleen Fuller

Kathleen Fuller is the best-selling author of over thirty books, including the Hearts of Middlefield series.
1. I started writing January 1, 2000. New year, new millennium, new career.
2. I’m a former special education teacher, specializing in teaching the blind and visually impaired.
3. I was born in New Orleans, LA, raised in Little Rock, AR, and call Geneva, OH my home.
4. On June 12, 2013, my husband and I will celebrate twenty years of marriage.
5. We have three awesome kids.
6. I love chocolate. ‘Nuff said.
7. I’ve written and published over twenty-five novels and novellas.
8. I also write nonfiction–interviews, devotionals, Bible studies, essays, blog posts…
9. We have three dogs–Biscuit, Mollie, and Chief. And one cat, creatively named Kitty.
10. If I could go anywhere in the world I would go to Ireland.

 
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Goodreads

No comments