BOOK REVIEW: High as the Heavens by Kate Breslin

In 1917, Evelyn Marche is just one of many women who has been widowed by the war. A British nurse trapped in German-occupied Brussels, she spends her days working at a hospital and her nights as a waitress in her aunt and uncle's café. Eve also has a carefully guarded secret keeping her in constant danger: She's a spy working for a Belgian resistance group in league with the British Secret Service.

When a British plane crashes in Brussels Park, Eve is the first to reach the downed plane and is shocked to discover she recognizes the badly injured pilot. British RFC Captain Simon Forrester is now a prisoner of war, and Eve knows he could be shot as a spy at any time. She risks her own life to hide him from the Germans, but as the danger mounts and the secrets between them grow, their chance of survival looks grim. And even if they do make it out alive, the truth of what lies between them may be more than any love can overcome.


I could not wait to read this book.  I was so torn with the choices from Bethany House last month that I sorta drew straws and then immediately requested everything else on the list from NetGalley.  I mean, sometimes I girl's gotta do whatever it takes for amazingly awesome sounding books.  And I gotta tell ya, was not disappointed.  Intrigue?  Check.  Romance?  Check.  Embraceable characters?  Check.  Story line that draws you in and keeps you engaged?  Mostly check.  I know, I know I'm too picky 'they say'.  Pmerhaps I am, but then again I've read a few books in my lifetime and I know what I love, what I like, and what doesn't do it for me.  This book did it for me and I liked it but I spent the first but of the book trying to find my way and a little overwhelmed.  Probably much like the characters did as they were engulfed in a war zone they didn't ask for and didn't want surrounded by German soldiers that didn't respect them or really even themselves.  Not really a place anyone wants to be.

It's painful for me to have to say the only reason this book was at a 4 star review is that first perhaps quarter of the book.  I felt like I was missing something.  It took a bit of time for the pieces to make sense and the momentum to grow.  I don't expect a spy to hang a shingle and adverse.  I don't expect a spy to really trust anyone.  It took me a while to fall into the mindset with the trust and withhold and what the heck did that German/French/What language was that again phrase mean?  It just didn't come together for me to begin with.  By the time I found my grove it was a runaway train and I was strapped in ready to roll.

This book seriously hit all the marks for me.  Even the good guy turn bad guy but wait what is he oh there's his true colors theme kept me engaged.  I loved that the book was set in a real historical time period based off real historical people and real historical groups.  I loved that the characters that were drawn together were real and fresh and I wanted to comfort them and yell at them and all the things.  I also respect, and appreciate, the inner struggle that Eve had to go through with her own place in all the different experiences she had.  The realization that forgiveness is more than just a prayer.  The idea that life is not black and white.  And the knowledge that even bad situations can lead to good results when you Trust. The faith was so seamlessly integrated and so well developed that it felt so true and natural yet not 'in your face' so much that someone how doesn't care for christian books would still enjoy it.  Seriously, I am so glad I fell in love with this book from the description and 'had' to read it.

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by NetGalley.  I was not compensated for this review and all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.  I was not required to write a positive review.

 Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

About Kate Breslin
Former bookseller-turned-author Kate Breslin enjoys life in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and family. A writer of travel articles and award-winning poetry, Kate received Christian Retailing's 2015 Best Award for First Time Author and her first novel, For Such A Time, won American Christian Fiction Writers 2015 Carol Award. Kate's second novel, Not By Sight released in August, 2015. When she's not writing inspirational fiction, Kate enjoys reading or taking long walks in Washington's beautiful woodlands. She also likes traveling to new places, both within the U.S. and abroad, having toured Greece, Rome, and much of Western Europe. New destinations make for fresh story ideas.

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google+ | Goodreads

No comments